The old bridge and the banks of the river Seine
Le Billet d’Humeur
Sign up our Newsletter
The history of the old bridge of Poissy begins before the 13th century. At this time, the Seine river bed was wider and it had lower, grassier banks. There were four mills installed on it and it had as many as 37 arches. It was fortified in the 17th century, equipped with a drawbridge and, at each end of it, a sturdy door used to be opened and closed at set times. Like most such constructions of the period, a toll was charged both to go over and under Poissy bridge. Poissy was a popular fishing spot and there were numerous fishermen’s guilds. Nets used to be hung between each arch, at night only, because from sunrise to sunset priority was given to river traffic.
Very intense activity developed around the bridge and the river Seine: port life, cattle coming to their watering place, mill users and washerwomen. Over the centuries, the bridge underwent many alterations. It was mined and repaired several times during the wars, and was finally destroyed by the allied bombing of 26 May 1944. A temporary bridge, in use between 1946 and 1951, was replaced by the present bridge, which is situated upstream and was opened on 19 July 1952.
Today the banks of the Seine offer an ideal bucolic setting for your walks. The opportunity to relax and enjoy nature and landscape. A moment of change of scenery guaranteed!